I did a quick poll on facebook and got all sorts of answers. Thanks to those who participated. This seems to also be the same assortment of answers I saw from the academic realm.
I think people assume he was born on 0AD, started his ministry at 30(per luke 3:23), and it only lasted for 3 years. So lots of people are on board with the 33 year old Jesus. Not sure why.
I propose to you that he wasn't 33, but in his 40s when he died.
1. Jesus was born between 6BC and 4BC; 4BC is when Herod the Great died.
2. Jesus was alive after the death of John the Baptist Matt14:12 NET
3. Historian Josephus records a defeat of Herod Antipas by Aretas at 36AD, people at that time contributed it as divine punishment for his behavior towards John the Baptist. - Jewish Antiquities (book 18, chapter 5, 2)
4. Herod Antipas' brother Philip died in 34AD. It is supposed to be Johns critisism of Herod taking Philips wife that gets him beheaded Matt 14:3-4
5. That puts John the Baptists death around 35AD
6. Pontius Pilate was Roman governor of Judaea (AD 26 – 36)
7. That puts a crucifixion before 36AD
If Jesus was alive for Johns death around 35AD and the governors in power by 36AD
Then Jesus would have died (and resurrected) around 35/36AD!
6BC to 36AD is 42 years of age.
Jesus could be around 42 years of age, and had a ministry of about 12 years.
Other resources: Link Link