Saturday, June 6, 2009

Jesus was a Mason?

Ok not really, but kinda sorta. I'll explain. The title is a play on words so to speak. I've been, for whatever reason, hearing a lot of people talking about the Masonic (Freemasons) links to Washington DC lately. My grandpa was one, maybe I'm sensitive to the subject. Then I also ran across an article about the possibility Jesus wasn't a carpenter.
Seeing as how the Greek words used for Carpenter is Tektwn, and it's not always used to mean Carpenter. Mark 6:3 Matthew 13:55
It could mean he was a builder, or any craftsman, a stone mason perhaps.

The article here points out that the parables Jesus used are not exactly carpentry related, but they do have other relations to building. Refrences such as: The cornerstone, solid rock, foolish builder, and an unfinished tower.

I don't particularly think it matters what he may have been taught to do as a job prior to his ministry, though it does shed some possiblities and make the parables relate better to his early life. But really it doesn't matter because he didn't come to this world to build buildings or work on wood. He came to save it. Luke 19:10

1 comment: